Refugees Immigrants & Climate Crisis A Panel Discussion and Mini-Conference
Saturday April 15th 2017 11:00 AM – 3:00 PM
Springfield Technical Community College, Scibelli Hall
1 Armory Square, Springfield 01105
Sponsored by Arise for Social Justice
A panel of experts and activists on the connections between war, climate disasters and refugees, health impacts on immigrants, climate justice locally, and examples of activist organizing. Climate change is fueling the growing refugee crisis around the world, as individuals and entire communities are forced to flee their homes due to its effects. Come explore humanitarian implications as well as questions of responsibility and justice at the international, national and local level, and afterwards participate in workshops to understand how you can make an impact.
(1) Internationally recognized author and professor Vijay Prashad (Trinity College);
(2) Dr. Martha Nathan, of Climate Action Now, Baystate Health and La Cliniquita;
(3) Michaelann Bewsee, Executive Director for Arise for Social Justice and co-founder, Springfield Climate Justice Coalition; and
(4) Ravi Khanna, philanthropic advisor at Philanthropy for Change.
(1) Interfaith organizing led by Tahirah Amatul-Wadud, lawyer, member of Council on Islamic Arab Relations & Joan Butler (Springfield Unitarian Universalist Society);
(2) Organizing for Immigrants led by Rose Bookbinder (Pioneer Valley Workers’ Center), and
(3) Health Impacts of Climate Change, led by Sarita Hudson (Partners for Healthier Community).
Schedule of Events 11:00 AM Registration/Check In
11:15 AM Panel & Discussion
12:45 AM Lunch/Networking
1:15 PM Workshops
2:30 PM Closing
Free lunch and childcare provided.
Free parking at Pearl St. lot. Follow signs to Scibelli Hall.
For more information contact Ann Ferguson: email@example.com, 413-367-2310
Co-sponsors include: Springfield Climate Justice Coalition, Climate Action Now, Markham-Nathan Justice Fund, Rosenberg Fund for Children, Springfield Unitarian Universalist Society, Pioneer Valley Workers’ Center, Jobs with Justice, Pioneer Valley Interfaith Refugee Action Group, Western MA American Friends Service Committee, Traprock Peace Center, UMass Social Thought and Political Economy Program, UMass Women, Gender, Sexuality Studies Program