We treasure protected lands in Massachusetts and work hard to conserve our forests, lakes and fields; places where changes reflect the shifts in seasons not the roar of the bulldozer and the blasting of bedrock. More and more of us are learning about Kinder Morgan’s brazen attempt to get our state legislators to undo our hard fought legal protection of these public lands. Here is the story:
- Kinder Morgan, the huge Texas-based gas pipeline company proposing both the Northeast Energy Direct and Connecticut Expansion gas pipeline in Massachusetts, wants to take public lands to construct their pipelines, access roads, work areas, and on-the-ground infrastructure for their private profit.
- They want to clearcut, blast and trench their way to construct pipelines that would damage over 100 conservation parcels for their private profit.
- Eighty five of those parcels, including state forests and parks, are protected by Article 97 of our Massachusetts Constitution.
- Kinder Morgan is lobbying to get the required two thirds of legislators in the Mass House and Senate to vote their way and allow pipeline infrastructure on public lands.
Here is how we are fighting back
- There is a public hearing next TUESDAY, November 10th at 11 AM in the Statehouse in Boston on House Bill 3690 which would strip the protected status (Article 97 of the amended Massachusetts Constitution) from land in Otis State Forest, including old growth forest, to allow for the construction of a pipeline spur to provide natural gas to Connecticut. (Come at 10 am for the rally!)
- If H. 3690 is approved, it increases the likelihood that similar legislation will ultimately be approved to strip Article 97 protection from thousands of acres of additional protected open space to facilitate the construction of NED.
- We intend to make sure that Kinder Morgan’s effort to take our public lands for their corporate profit is met with a resounding “No!” from our elected officials.
- We need to pack the hearing room and send our elected officials a clear message: No way will Kinder Morgan build pipeline infrastructure on our beloved conservation lands.
The MA Interfaith Coalition for Climate Change, one of our coalition partners in Mass Power Forward, also has an action day at the Statehouse on Nov. 10th. Please join their rally for climate justice at 10 AM at the Grand Staircase in the Statehouseand then head downstairs to the Gardner Auditorium for the 11 AM hearing.
If you are able to attend the hearing and either need or can offer a ride please contact Climate Action Now. To send a message to elected officials representing your community and key committee heads go here. For answers to frequently asked questions go here